Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Oh San Francisco, we do love you!


We took our first plane trip with baby for my birthday trip to San Francisco. Anyone who knows me knows that I usually have to drug the crap out of myself to get on a plane. Since I am breastfeeding I obviously can't go the pharmaceutical route so decided to have a hypnotherapy session with the woman that did our hypnobirthing class...not really holding out much hope that it would be effective. I am now a big believer! Taylor will vouch for the fact that I was the calmest I have ever been on a plane (without drugs...with them, I am practically comatose). Quinn was a fabulous traveler and fell asleep before take off on the way there and was really chilled out on the way back. Taylor even managed to make small talk (which she hates) with the over-sharing woman next to her.

Our trip was fabulous, we saw some of our favorite places and people. Unfortunately we didn't always get to spend as much time as we had wanted (so sorry Sarah and Alex!) but it made us very nostalgic for the time we lived there. One of the best parts was spending some time with our friends April and Jake and their son and their nephew (we were a big group!) at the Academy of Sciences...amazing! Quinn was so moved that she donated her pacifier to the albino alligator's swamp. A biologist had to be paged and we politely turned down the offer of its return. I also had a wonderful birthday party with the above group and my friend Cindy who braved the drive to join us for the Mel's diner extravaganza.

I did have a moment (okay we had several) of really considering what it would be like to move back to San Francisco. There is such a great vibe and such amazing diversity in the city. Diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. etc. I wondered if we are denying Quinn a richer cultural experience by living in Portland. Don't get me wrong, I love Portland but there is something about San Francisco. Hmmm something to think about. Thoughts?

3 comments:

april said...

we had fun with you three too! we would love to see you back here in san francisco! but, it's a big decision and ultimately you have to decide on your priorities. portland is nice too, and we enjoy visiting you there! i agree on the diversity here though--sometimes i can't believe i'm (and general is) being surrounded by so many different lifestyles and cultures. it's amazing.

Melissa said...

I agree with April about it being a big decision and having to decide on your priorities. Know too, that Mandy and I would just have to follow you to San Francisco so that we can continue to stalk you.

ABLynch said...

Wow! I honestly don't know when I'll be brave enough to fly with Daniel. Perhaps when he's 13? ;)

As for a cultural expereince... ANYTHING is better than Baltimore!