Monday, October 13, 2008

We're Back!


By this week, your baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of her head to her heels. She can blink her eyes, which now sport lashes. With her eyesight developing, she may be able to see the light that filters in through your womb. She's also developing billions of neurons in her brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

Things we have been up to:

1. Not unpacking. The house is a disaster zone but we love having a house! Maybe someday we can get rid of all the boxes.

2. We hired a doula (labor support person) after doing a couple interviews. We really felt that this was important even though we have a great midwifery team. Specifically, we wanted someone that could help Taylor support me and we feel like we picked a great person. Her name is Stacey and we will also be taking a childbirth prep class with her. http://www.mothertreebirth.com/doulas-sb.html

3. I had a fabulous gestational diabetes test, instead of having to drink some nasty drink I had a finger poke and was instructed to go eat waffles and syrup and protein and walk for a half hour and then get poked again...to see how I metabolize real food. Apparently, I do just fine as the test was a success...and the cornmeal Belgian waffle was so so good.

4. I am officially in my third trimester, I will feel better after this week is over since I had that whole "higher risk of miscarriage" in the second trimester due to the bleeding in early pregnancy. The baby is moving all about and Taylor plans to take a picture of the belly this weekend so you can all see the growth, and there is a lot. Basically, I don't fit into anything anymore. The pregnancy stores tell you to buy your pre-pregnancy size which is a bunch of crap considering my breasts are three times their pre-pregnancy size!!! Clothes are not easy to find and I have resorted to shoe looking slippers for comfort and to support my poofy feet.

5. We started a hypnobirthing class last week and it is really interesting. Taylor managed to keep the horror on her face to a minimum when watching the birthing videos and I think it will be a good class. It is odd to be the only same sex couple and even though the instructor is sensitive it feels a little exclusionary at times. I just did a guest lecture for culturally competent care for LGBT clients for the midwifery school so maybe I am just hypersensitive. :)

Back to prepping for the class we are teaching!

Megan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I can't believe time is going so fast! I'm so glad everything is going so well!!
~Anna