Monday, December 8, 2008

36 weeks and counting

Sorry for the delay in posting, life got crazy again and I am assured it will continue to do so. We finished our childbirth classes last week (we took a 5 week Hypnobirthing class, a 4 week general overview class taught by our doula, and two seminars; one on postpartum care and one on natural pain coping techniques). We also finished the Intro the Queer Studies class that we have been teaching although we still have a lot of grading to do. It was a really meaningful experience but I am glad that we have more free time now as I am huge.

We had THREE baby showers last week. The first one was at lunch on Wednesday and was arranged by the wonderful Pam (Taylor's coworker/friend/mentor/boss/and wife of the soup god Jeff) at Taylor's work. Of course I got a semi migraine (it didn't progress thank goodness) 20 minutes before but managed with Taylor's help, some hydration and Tylenol (and soup that Jeff made) to pull it together for the shower. We played actual fun games and her co-workers (a lot of guys that work with computers) were really good sports. We also got some really great gifts and I FINALLY got to see Taylor's cubicle after 2.5 years of her working there. I then got another headache and after seeing a second cubicle at another building and I had to nap in the car and be taken home early....just in time for shower #2. My co-workers (specifically Courtney, Judy, and Heather) had an evening shower that was really lovely. No games (per my request), a ton of gifts, and just a mellow time with snacks and talking.

We had our big friends/family shower on Saturday (this was arranged by a "shower committee" of Ingrid, Hillary, Jessica, and Mandy) at the local community center. It was exactly what we wanted, a really casual gathering of friends and family creating a really supportive atmosphere to welcome our baby. The food was fabulous there were activities for the kids, for the adults, music, great decorations. We did have to open presents in front of people but we did it together and it wasn't quite so intimidating. Our inseminating naturopath Dr. Annie Hanaway dropped by and got a round of applause (definitely deserved). Although it was odd to see people from very different aspects of our lives interacting it was amazing to feel the excitement and love that our family is lucky to have. As an added bonus Taylor's mama was able to be there which made it even more special. My mom sent a delegate (our family friend Christie) so I would have a mom too! Thanks to all of you who were there and those of you who were sending your love and good wishes but couldn't attend. We have pretty much everything we need although there are still a few things on the list.

This Sunday I will be 37 weeks which is technically full term so wish us luck! Also, someone text messaged me as I hadn't posted on the blog and they wanted to know if we had had the baby...nope but there was no name/number so I have no idea who you are!!! Call/e-mail/or text with name so we can chat.

I am feeling gigantic, slow, and tired. The ligaments in your pelvic area open up during pregnancy so your legs feel disconnected from your body which is odd, you don't really sleep much, and I continue to have practice "surges" and low cramping off and on. Our prenatal visit was cancelled last week due to our main midwife being sick so I am extra excited for this weeks visit. Still feeling pretty good though despite all the discomfort and am hopeful the baby can hold out for at least another two weeks!

Megan

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yay! Another post! I am so excited for you both. I'm glad you are trying hypnobirthing--it really helped me a lot. of course, it was great to have our doula there for the times when I needed to try something a little different--she had lots of tricks to pull out of her bag. I forgot about the hypnobirthing vocab (e.g., "surges.") Unfortunately we didn't really get to keep that up at the hospital because it totally befuddled all the nurses. :) Sounds like you have great care, great friends around, and are very prepared! Go team baby! Love, Sarah, Eric & Kiely

Anonymous said...

ahhh! so exciting megan! wow, i can't believe time seems to have gone by so quickly. general asked me today if the baby would be here before he turns 4. i reminded him that yes, he/she will. he then let me know that your baby will like to drink milk :) the random comments of a child are ever so entertaining.